The case based research cycle has four main components which are retrieve, reuse, revise and retain, information retained can again be retrieved. The methods used by case based reasoning models can accordingly be categorized into retrieval method, reuse method, revision method and retainer method. The dynamic memory model and The category and Exemplar model are two examples of case based models.
In essence case based research comprises of:
- Comprehension of the given case or situation
- Understanding the present problems and solutions required
- Searching for related cases in data base
- Making a selected list of such cases
- Taking into consideration the differences and similarities
- Abstracting the required information
- Applying adjusters to the abstracted information
- Applying the abstracted information to given situation or case
- Drawing out preliminary conclusions or hypothesis
- Testing the preliminary conclusions or hypothesis
- Modifying the preliminary conclusion or hypothesis as indicated by test results
- Drawing out the final conclusion
- Preserving the final conclusion.